Field trips are any work, research, study or activity approved by a College/Portfolio that is undertaken by staff, students, volunteers and/or visitors, off campus at an urban, rural, remote, freshwater or marine location.
Field trips do NOT include:
- inter-campus travel
- meetings off-site
- attendance at conferences, trade fairs
- work experience placements
- journeys undertaken with the purpose of the supervision of students on placement or other work experience
- off-site supervision of students on work placement
- students on work placement – (Work Integrated Learning (WIL)) as long as the requirements of the WIL program have been implemented.
- visits to places of biological, physical, cultural or environmental scientific interest
- visits to remote communities
- aquatic activities
- outdoor education camps and excursions
- activities at archaeological sites, including excavations
- diving and/or boating
- rock climbing
- capture or sampling of flora and fauna
- film shoots
- dramatic performances
- other off-campus activities, which may or may not involve overnight stays.
In order to go on a field trip, you must submit a field trip proposal through Flinsafe and receive email notification that it has been approved prior to departure. The Flinsafe Field trip portal can be accessed via OKTA.
For general field trip information, including field trip guidelines, the approval process and what constitutes a field trip go to the WHS field trips page.
Field trip leaders must
- ensure that adequate consideration has been given to any health and safety issue that may arise during a field trip.
- provide appropriate guidance and supervision, appropriate resources and prepare for any emergencies that may arise.
- ensure a risk assessment is carried out, that the trip is approved, participant and emergency information is provided.
A field trip leader is the person who has the authority to influence or direct the actions of students, staff members and volunteers involved in the field activity. This responsibility extends for the entire duration of the field trip including any free time.