Personal and carer's leave is available to cover personal illness or injury. It is also available to provide care and support for an immediate family member who is ill, injured or affected by an unexpected emergency.
Personal and carer's leave:
- accrues at a rate of 110.25 hours or 15 days per completed year of service (pro-rata for part-time staff)
- must be recorded on ESS and approved by your Supervisor
- requires a medical certificate after three consecutive days of absence
New staff members may apply for up to 44.1 hours (6 days) of personal and carer's leave in advance of their entitlement (pro-rata for part-time staff). If the entitlement is not subsequently earned, reimbursement is required to the University.
Two days compassionate leave is available per occasion of:
- the death of a family member, or when
- a family member contracts, develops or sustains life-threatening illness or injury
View the Personal/carer's and compassionate leave policy
Special paid leave
You are entitled to five days per calendar year (pro-rata for part-time staff) special paid leave for the following circumstances:
- death of a family member,
- cultural/ceremonial obligations,
- attendance at unforeseen emergency situations,
- maintenance of kinship/community links by Australian Indigenous staff members to ensure currency of Indigenous knowledge, or
- dealing with family/domestic violence matters.
Special paid leave does not accumulate from year to year. A minimum of one hour can be taken.
Full conditions of special leave are set out in section A24 of the Enterprise Agreement 2014 to 2017.