Semester 1 2020
In partnership with College and portfolio staff across the University, Student Experience led the development and implementation of Flinders’ first five-week extended orientation program in Semester 1 2020.
In previous years, students have attended academic sessions, social events, and activities during O’Week (week zero) before being left to navigate University ‘on their own’ from week one. Furthermore, students who are admitted after O’Week and those who are unable to attend O’Week, miss out on this experience altogether.
Therefore, an extended orientation program was developed to better support all new students in their transition to University. The program started with O’Week and continued through the first four weeks of Semester. Each week included themed events, communication and activities highlighting support services and helping students establish a sense of belonging at Flinders. The themes were:
- O’Week: Get to know Flinders, meet other students, and get excited for University.
- Connect Week: Establish connections and a sense of belonging at Flinders.
- Skills Week: Develop skills for academic, personal, and professional success.
- Cultural Week: Celebrate the diverse cultures at Flinders.
- Wellbeing Week: Build habits and skills to support your wellbeing.
More than 500 events and activities were scheduled across the five-week extended orientation program in Semester 1 2020 (please note that due to COVID-19 restrictions, all events in Cultural Week and Wellbeing Week were cancelled).
As part of the inaugural extended orientation program, the following initiatives were implemented:
- A Welcome Hub at Bedford Park. Located at the ground floor of the Student Hub, the Welcome Hub provided a central, visible location for students to ask questions and learn about support services throughout the extended orientation program.
- A Meet and Greet Space at Bedford Park. Located within the Welcome Hub, the Meet and Greet Space was a place for students to meet their peers through weeks 1 to 4.
- Finding Your Way at Flinders (Digital Orientation Topic in FLO). This popular resource provided students with essential orientation information. On average, the topic had 10,500 student views per week throughout the five week orientation period. Views increased significantly in week 3 after the move to online teaching (due to COVID-19) totalling 19,348 views for the week.
Semester 2 2020
Due to the success of the extended orientation program in semester 1, an extended orientation program will be implemented in semester 2 2020.
Due to COVID-19 and social distancing restrictions, most events for semester 2 orientation will be delivered online, with some events and activations on campus at Bedford Park and Sturt.
Read more about the extended orientation program in semester 2.