The Introductory Academic Program (IAP) reflects many years of co-ordinated effort among a close-knit team, qualified to prepare international students to meet the requirements of the courses and to facilitate their cultural and academic transition to Flinders University.
The IAP provides all commencing Australia Awards-sponsored students with five weeks of lively preparation for life in an Australian university. Courses in English in an Academic Context and Academic Writing, Computing, Critical Thinking, Cross-Cultural Communication, Research Skills and Academic Numeracy have an important, unifying element. We all work together to make our students conscious of the need to integrate these different skills, wherever possible. A 1500-word essay, with an oral PowerPoint presentation, provides students with the necessary focus and provides us with a measure of how successful we have been in reaching our goal.
- review students' responses to our teaching on a regular basis
- identify those who will need extra support beyond the IAP by regular monitoring and consultation
- familiarise our students with their rights and responsibilities as students in an Australian community
- make our students our ‘significant advisers' in the on-going development of the IAP
- continue to 'internationalise' our staff through careful selection
- integrate the efforts of our staff, through contact with our colleagues in the relevant faculties, library, support services and the AusAID liaison officer
- pay careful attention to the social integration of students from diverse backgrounds through careful grouping, cultural events and visits to places of local interest and national beauty.