Members of the professional staff who wish to undertake part-time study to improve their qualifications for their present or expected future position in the University may apply for:
- time off during normal working hours necessary for attendance at lectures, practical classes or examinations, and
- reimbursement of the compulsory student services and amenities fee.
The University will not reimburse tuition fees, late fees, graduation expenses, book or note fees or FEE-HELP costs under the Study Assistance Scheme. Staff may be eligible to seek financial assistance through the Professional Staff Development Fund or the Professional Staff Conference Scheme.
The Study Assistance Form must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must be approved each year before the study is undertaken.
Application for time off and Statutory Services Fee reimbursement must be supported in advance by the staff member's supervisor and the relevant *Senior Officer. Applications for fee reimbursement must be approved in advance by the Director, People and Culture. No applications for fee reimbursement will be approved retrospectively.
Guidelines relating to leave provisions
Leave of absence with pay may be granted by the Senior Officer for an approved course of study in accordance with the following conditions:
- Up to six hours in any week to enable members of staff to attend lectures and practical classes which they are required to attend in connection with subjects in an approved course provided that the periods of leave so granted shall not exceed the periods, including travelling time, required by the members of staff to attend such lectures and practical classes.
- Up to a maximum of five days a year to enable members of staff to undertake examinations in subjects in approved courses, provided that such members shall only be granted sufficient leave to enable them to travel to the place of examination, complete the examination and return to work.
- Members of staff may apply to receive study leave in the form of block grants only where there exists a requirement of the course that cannot be fulfilled under the above conditions (eg field trips, block courses). Applications for block Study Assistance grants may only be made after consultation with the *Senior Officer concerned.
The Senior Officer may at their discretion grant further leave of absence without pay for the above purposes.
Any leave granted for the purposes of study assistance shall be subject to:
- The convenience of the work unit, and
- The staff member undertaking a satisfactory lecture, practical work and study load in their own time as subject timetables allow.
Leave with pay under these guidelines shall not be granted in respect of any subject being repeated.
Time off for lectures, practical work and travelling shall be calculated on a weekly basis.
For the purposes of these guidelines, 'Senior Officer' means the head of College or Division, University Librarian, etc, as appropriate for members of staff in their College or section of the University
Reimbursement of fees
Professional staff members shall be eligible for a refund of Statutory Services Fees paid in respect of completed subjects of an approved course, subject to provision of:
- Evidence of having passed or otherwise satisfactorily completed the subjects concerned, and
- Original receipts for the fees actually paid.
Reimbursement is sought via Service One. Instructions will be provided to staff when applications are received and confirmed as approved.
To qualify for a refund of fees, a person must be a professional member of staff of the University at the time the subject results are published.