Who can apply?
The Professional Staff Development Fund is open to ALL PROFESSIONAL STAFF employed on a continuing or fixed term basis with six (6) months or more continuous service (not including casual service).
- The maximum amount of funding per application is $3,500.
- The Professional Staff Development Fund will pay the approved cost amount less any GST.
- The fund can be used in conjunction with Study Assistance for Professional Staff but should not duplicate the in-house professional development activities / courses offered by the University.
- It is not intended that the Fund will replace existing professional development activities and courses that have been offered and funded by the local area.
- The Fund may be used for course fees, resources required to complete the course, and related expenses such as pre-approved travel and accommodation costs.
- There is a limit of one successful application every two years per individual.
Criteria for applications
The University will award access to the fund on the following criteria:
- Relevance to an existing or future possible career at the University, as documented through the Professional Staff Performance and Development Framework;
- Relevance and benefit to the direction of the College / Portfolio / Division and the University; and
- Endorsement by the individual's immediate supervisor and the appropriate manager of the College / Division (must be one level removed from the approving supervisor).
Applications must be received BEFORE the professional development activity occurs and the fund will operate on a first come first served basis.
Payment of fees
There are three options for charging the approved Professional Development expenses:
- Reimbursement option
The recipient of the funding elects to be charged personally (in their own name) by the service provider. The recipient seeks reimbursement via Service One, ensuring all the required documentation is provided, and nominates the Professional Development Funding Account to fund the expense up to the amount approved under the Fund. The staff member's supervisor then reviews and approves the Service One request.
- Purchase card option
The recipient of the funding elects to charge the approved expense to a Flinders University purchase card. The card owner codes the amount approved under the Fund to the Professional Development Funding Account, ensuring all required documentation is provided.
- Invoicing option
The recipient of the funding nominates Flinders University to pay the invoice, with the invoice directed to People and Culture for coding and approval.
Full instructions for payment will be provided with approval documentation together with a payment schedule of accounts for charging. Please note all payments are ex-GST.