At a broad University level we work with IDS Stakeholders, government bodies, and various information security vendors and solution providers to establish and maintain operating processes and technology control measures to secure University systems and sensitive information.
Through this support and internal security management the University Information security team delivers the following key services:
- Information security governance and policy management - Develop and maintain information security governance relevant to the University in line with industry recognised standards including the Federal Government's Essential 8, the US based National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), as well as ISO27001 of which the University is currently working towards certification
- Security monitoring and alerting - Monitor University IT systems through the use of the machine data platform, Splunk. Splunk is also used more broadly in the University for data collection, correlation, and presentation
- Email Security - Maintain email security and prevent the delivery of spam and phishing emails to University mailboxes. The University is constantly under attack with malicious actors trying to compromise our systems. Tools like Mimecast and Microsoft's Office 365 helps us keep email secure
- Cloud solution security assessment and certification - Assess and certify cloud services in use by the University. The University is using a growing number of cloud solutions and it is important to protect University information and connected environments from risks introduced by the use of third party cloud solution providers
- Information security training and awareness - Develop and maintain content as well as provide information security training sessions to staff and students. Maintaining awareness against current threats, and those most commonly faced by the University, is the first step in keeping the University secure.
The information security team can provide the above and other security assessment and consulting / engagement activities. To get in touch with the security team please contact us at the email listed below. To report a security incident or for an urgent response please contact the IDS Service Desk.