Whilst many Flinders University staff are employed with varying probationary arrangements, for all new staff the end of the first three months is an opportunity to review progress and performance in the new work role and environment.
1. The supervisor’s role is
Discuss with new staff member:
- Encourage and support the new staff member with wider networking, mentoring and coaching opportunities so that they can continue to develop competence in their role.
- Ensure required training has been completed.
- Provide regular constructive feedback on performance.
- Discuss any problematic transition issues: from either your point of view or theirs.
- Discuss ongoing staff development opportunities in more detail.
- Jointly set goals for the next three month period.
- Ask the new staff member to fill in an Induction Evaluation form, found on the New Staff website.
If deciding not to confirm a new staff member's appointment at the end of the designated probationary period, for appropriate procedures see Probation – Professional Staff or Probation – Academic staff.